It's time we got serious in this country with arsonists and really make them pay for the destruction and pain they cause, so here are my thoughts:
1. Mandatory 10 years gaol for adults who deliberately light a fire during bush fire season on any property they do not own.
2. Detention and rehabilitation (but with conviction remaining on record for life) of juveniles who deliberately light a fire during bush fire season.
3. 5 year mandatory detention for a juvenile convicted of the same crime twice.
4. Name and shame including ad in local paper with a picture included of arsonists. (adults)
5. No Medicare ever.
6. No social security ever.
7. The same rules would apply to someone with a mental health issue.
Until we start to treat arson in relation to bush fires as a major crime these situations will keep occurring. The destruction, heartache, financial burden and cost to society along with the risk to human life cannot be tolerated any longer. These people are surplus to requirement and should be treated as such.....